[Diabetes-talk] gestational diabetes have some questions abouta talking glucose meter

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Dec 3 20:25:39 UTC 2013

I do not believe there are any meters that allow data readout via computer;
there's a data transfer protocol involved and I don't believe any of these
protocols allow on-the-fly data readout.

As for the Prodigy Voice, have you tried putting some control solution on
your finger and then touching the strip?

Incidentally, Prodigy autocode strips will work with the Prodigy Voice and
autocode strips are fairly common.

Also, I recommend that you hold your hand flat and bring the meter/strip to
your finger. Most of the time, blind persons have trouble getting blood on
the slot on the strip because the blood gets smeared; you want a bead of
blood to roll into the capillary slot on the strip. Practice makes perfect
and it may take some practice.

Under separate cover, I'm sending you a booklet NFB put out a few years ago
with articles about diabetes care as a blind person, "Bridging the Gap". The
article I wrote is a bit out-of-date in that I'm on different insulins now
than I was in the article. But the general advice is good and there's an
article on finger-sticking techniques.

Mike Freeman