[Diabetes-talk] loading strips in the Prodigy Voice

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Dec 10 18:40:22 UTC 2013

I'm not Joy, but ... at the opposite end of the strip from where you insert
it into the meter, you may be able to feel (and your husband will be able to
see) a small knotch on the upper edge of the strip. When a bead of blood
(remember, you want a bead, not a smear) drops into this knotch, what's
called "capillary action" in which a difference in pressure between the
ambient air and that in the knotch occurs and the blood is sucked up into
the knotch and, hence, onto the area of the strip with which the blood
chemically reacts to produce and electric current which the meter uses to
give you a reading of glucose content. Incidentally, your meter is
calibrated for "plasma readings" as are almost all meters these days.

I know I keep saying this but IMO your obsessing about this. Worry less;
test more; have a soothing hot drink and enjoy the holiday season!

And you might wish to have your husband read the meter instructions and/or,
if the unit came with an audio CD, read the instructions yourself.

Incidentally, if you are puzzled why you get multiple answers to your
questions, it's that there are as many "right ways" to test as there are
testers. In other words, each person finds what works for him/her.

I'd also recommend you go on BARD and download/read Gretchen Becker's book:
"the First Year; Type II Diabetes: a guide for the Newly-diagnose". It'll
tell you more than you want to know in simple language while not presuming
you are an idiot.

And we're all here to help.

Mike Freeman