[Diabetes-talk] The Warning Signs of Kidney Disease

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 21:44:06 UTC 2013

Because I lost my vision to Diabetes and have kidney disease. A Transplant is a treatment it isn't a cure, I am posting this article to the list, so for those that do not know what to look for you should be asking your physician to run these tests if they are not doing so, and ask for the results of these test, not that they are normal but the actual numbers, and keep track of them for your own.
I didn't know this, and when I went to my doctor after going on disability for my eyes, to my new doctor, since my old one moved to another state, said to me when she gave me the bad news about my kidneys, didn't my other doctor ever treat or check for kidney disease prior to this. I said no.
That was back in 2001. Today I know better, and I try to educate those about this disease. So here is the article.
Kidney disease is a stealth illness. It may often be silent for many years—until it has reached an advanced stage.
When you get a checkup, it's important to make sure your health care provider includes tests of your kidney function, experts say. This is especially true if you have some of the conditions that can increase your risk for kidney disease, such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
Two simple blood tests, blood-urea-nitrogen and serum creatinine level, and a regular urine analysis can help determine if your kidneys are functioning normally.
If you have diabetes but no known kidney disease, your health care provider can order an additional test called microalbumin screening. This test can pick up signs of early kidney problems before any of the other "kidney function tests" become abnormal. For patients with diabetes, the microalbumin test should be done once a year, according to the American Diabetes Association.When high blood pressure or diabetes is detected and controlled with treatment, the risk of kidney disease and other complications is greatly reduced.
Many people don't realize how important their kidneys are to their good health. In addition to filtering wastes from your blood, the kidneys do several other key jobs to keep your body functioning smoothly:
They produce a hormone that helps your body make red blood cells. This prevents anemia or a low blood count.They make hormones that help to regulate blood pressure.They keep your bones strong by making an activated form of vitamin D.
Cheryl Echevarria

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY StateOffering the Best in Meaningful Travel Experiences for Everyone!Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerwww.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations at echevarriatravel.com

Sign up for our e-newsletter by e-mailing us you first and last name, and e-mail address to reservations at echevarriatravel.com, let us know if you want just text or pictures in your e-mail.
Echevarria Travel has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama