[Diabetes-talk] question about high numbers and pumps

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Feb 16 22:27:23 UTC 2013

Hi, Debbie.

You've gotten a lot of good advice from Bridgit, Veronica and other
confirmed pump fanatics. I don't dispute any of it. However, let me give you
a few thoughts from someone who is *not* a pump fanatic and who doesn't
trust machines in this realm -- at least not yet.

First, without knowing a great deal more about what sort of treatment
regimen you are on, it's difficult to say whether you'd benefit from use of
a pump. What medications are you on? What have you tried to bring those
readings down? You say you count carbs. Do you know your insulin-to-carb
ratios at various times of day? Are you on a basic insulin regimen (two
shots a day of mixed regular or short-acting and intermediate or long-acting
insulin) or are you on an "intensive" or "physiological" management regimen
where you give shots of fast-acting insulin at meals according to the
anticipated carb load plus a once-a-day or twice-a-day basal insulin dose
(something like Lantus or, I think, Epidra). Or are you on pills only or
pills plus lantus? If so, you haven't even tried a full-fledged manual
intensive insulin regimen yet to see if your readings come down a bit. This
is not to say that a pump might not help but it's no panacea and IMO you may
not have enough info to make an intelligent decision.

Second, the "secret" that's not often mentioned by pump advocates is that
you need to be as conscious -- or *more* conscious -- of your
insulin-to-carb ratios, basal dosages and the like, when on a pump as you
are taking shots, unless you blindly trust the pump.

Third, the pump (either pod or the regular kind with tubing and canula) is
attached to you at all times except for short periods. Can you put up with
this?

Fourth, although there are ways and work-arounds to handle most pumps these
days as a blind person, there's no truly accessible pump yet and probably
won't be for some time. I don't know about you but I don't trust a machine
unless it gives me direct feedback. But that's just me although I know a
person working for Omnipod who says her husband is an engineer and has my
exact attitude. (grin)

Bottom line: we don't really have enough information to comment
intelligently.

Mike Freeman