[Diabetes-talk] Changing subject

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Feb 26 02:55:31 UTC 2013

Hey Bridgit:

No need to wear the hair shirt.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Diabetes-talk [mailto:diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Bridgit Pollpeter
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 11:38 AM
To: 'Diabetes Talk for the Blind'
Subject: [Diabetes-talk] Changing subject

Kelly,

I agree with you, and I apologize for being a participant  in this
recent thread not pertaining to pumps or diabetes for that matter.

I apologize for any remarks that were misunderstood. Being young and
still *new* to blindness, contrary to popular belief, I do not believe
myself to have *made it* or have all the answers. I am of the thinking
that we constantly grow and learn, and I have much to learn.

I'm but one fish in a pond significantly bigger than my small corner in
which I swim. As our personalities are varied, so are our experiences.
Nothing I have said here was intended to be interpreted as me extolling
my ego. The use of the pronoun I was merely due to the fact that I can
only speak to my experience, and these experiences were simply used to
illustrate any idea or concept, nothing more, nothing less.

I stand by my ideas and opinions about disability. I've worked with
people with various disabilities, and I'm well aware, through their
experiences and my own, that opportunities are not easily afforded to
some making life very difficult. That's why I try to fight for our
cause. Through mediums like my Omaha World Herald blog, and other
writings published elsewhere, I have attempted to bring awareness and a
voice. We are all deserving of opportunities and self-worth. It's
reprehensible that anyone especially in this country would be deterred
from pursuing goals and dreams.

Disappointments and failure are a part of life, and I've experienced my
share of set-backs. The struggle is a part of life.

So here's to sharing hopes and goals, discussing important issues even
when opinions vary and furthering the cause of those of us attempting to
bring equality and opportunity to all people, disabled or not.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis