[Diabetes-talk] accessible Insulin pumps

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Sun Jun 23 22:34:02 UTC 2013

Julie, I do know the current and past Roche pumps quite well. And let me
assure you, filling a cartridge is easy. Before Roche bought the company
which used to be Disetronic, they did have pre-filled cartridges available.
So that alone shouldn't be the determining factor of which pump a blind
person can use. It's the advanced features we're missing. Sighted people
don't do calculations any more. Not at all! Many of the pumps they just
enter the name of the food and the pump figures out the insulin amount
needed. There's just no way for us to scroll through a data base of foods.
And right now, other than the Cozmo, nobody has any software, accessible or
not that sends settings and information to the pump. Everyone is focused on
just uploading your history to your doctor and making pretty graphs. There
may be future possibilities down the road because they're working on the
ability to put apps on a special part of the chip in smart phones so that
there's no chance an app would be corrupted by another app.
And I'm sorry you're getting such a hard time from the medical professionals
about going on a pump. Back when I first wanted a pump, in 1991, I actually
went through 10 different endocrinologists till I found one that would let
me try. I kept arguing that sighted people don't have to prove themselves
ahead of time. They sign up, train, then try it out and it either works out
or doesn't. Almost all pumps have a trial period these days for everyone.
And truthfully, a blind person should have the same right to try something
out and even say something like you know, for my life style, this wasn't the
answer, having nothing to do with blindness at all. That would be my
definition of true equality.
But the best thing to do would be to set up meetings with reps from the
different companies and get your hands on pumps. Only when you sit down and
see what work-arounds are okay with you will you get some idea of what this
whole pump life is all about. But no matter what the future holds, you'll
never get me off of a pump. It truly gave me my life back. Sometimes it's
just not worth waiting for the perfect device to come out. So have fun
snooping and do keep us posted over here. As Bridgit said, you will likely
be able to tell us about any Roche pump because you'll have it years before
we do. <grin> Great discussion as usual.
Veronica

Watch the video as The Guide Dog Glee Club sings "Rehab!" Yes! Yes! Yes!
http://youtu.be/JvakJ5lk6Us
Then find more music from Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407