[Diabetes-talk] information wanted for Pilates and/or yoga?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 00:11:01 UTC 2013

Only yoga has the philosophical element, but most modern gyms only focus
on the actual physical part.

And these types of stretching work heavily with breathing techniques, so
the spiritual side kind of goes hand-in-hand, but it's really about
focusing on the breathing and position. As I said, modern gyms will want
you to focus on the breathing, but I doubt they will be teaching any
spiritual element unless it's a specific yoga facility or some
hippy-dippy instructor, grin.

I was doing Pilates and yoga long before I lost my sight, so I do a lot
on my own without help. I was a dancer and fitness instructor back in
the day, so I just remember a lot, which helps.

I'm not aware of described videos, but in my experience, most exercise
videos describe movements as the instructor goes along, so they very
well may work for blind people.

A yoga or Pilates class shouldn't be a problem at all. It's very easy
for an instructor to describe each position as you go along, and if you
are comfortable, they can even help place you in a position if
necessary. You can also go with a work-out partner so they can describe
positions as you go along.