[Diabetes-talk] Introduction

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Mar 30 02:00:14 UTC 2013

Welcome to our list. I'll send you off-list in word form a booklet NFB's
diabetes Action Network put out a few years ago, "Bridging the Gap: Living
with Blindness and Diabetes". Some of us in the profiles are a bit older but
the medical advice and techniques are still very-much valid.

Also, take a look at my personal page, <http://www.panix.com/~k7uij> where
there are a bunch of links to useful diabetes-related web sites. A couple of
the links may be broken (I haven't updated the page for a while) but most
still work and have great information. Also, go to <http://www.nfb.org> and
put "diabetes" in the search box. You'll get more hits than you may want to
read. The alias <http://www.VoiceOfTheDiabetic.org> has some past issues of
the "Voice of the diabetic" which we used to publish before it became too
expensive.

I'd also recommend going to the BARD site and downloading DB-64186 (I think)
which is "The first Year: Type Two Diabetes; A Guide for the
Newly-diagnosed". That's one of the best easy-to-read introductory books of
which I know; it also discusses more sophisticated aspects of controlling
diabetes than most introductory books do and it presumes you are
intelligent. You'll find a ton of other diabetes-oriented books on BARD,
Learning Ally and Bookshare also.

HTH!

Mike Freeman