[Diabetes-talk] Recently DXED Pre-Diabetic

Bill Lewis wlewis19 at cox.net
Wed Sep 11 16:36:17 UTC 2013

Hi Vicky, my name is Bill Lewis, and I want to share with you the importance
of our following the basics of glucose control.

There is an old and famous saying that "He who does not understand his
history is destined to repeat it."

Well, when I was first diagnosed with diabetes-2, I immediately jumped on
the crisis bandwagon and started the plan of exercise, diet plan, and
medications.  My glucose numbers came down quickly and my A1C began the
second month at 5.6.  So far, so good.

Over the past ten years the glucose numbers have snuck up on me and I also
got careless.  Next thing I knew--after ten years--I had a A1C at 8.2.

I went back to the basics.  I'm back on a real diet and exercise plan twice
as much as before.  My glucose numbers are now from 110 to 130.  My last A1C
was 7.9 before I started back on the new plan.  I'm looking forward to my
next checkup in January.  I have already lost ten pounds, but those are the
easy ones.  Next ten will take longer.

Conclusion:  food quantity does make a big difference, not just the type of
foods, such as including the veggies and avoidance of meat from four-legged
critters; and that exercise requirement is essential.  The exercise does not
always have to be strenuous, just regular and about 30 minutes.  I find an
exercise bike helps me a lot.  I don't use the treadmill much, because its
guide grips are in front and there are no side rails, making it about two
inchest too low for my height.  Good luck.  Be hearing from you again on
this list, I am sure.  --  Bill