[Diabetes-talk] Can anyone give me tips for checking my blood sugar and not killing my fingers?

Megan mebening at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:31:29 UTC 2014

Hello all,
I am running into an interesting problem when I try to use my Protegy Voice to check my blood sugar. First of all, I don't bleed that much with finger sticks and by the time I start squeezing, my blood has usually clotted and/or I don't have enough blood to get a read. In addition, if I prick on the pads of  my fingers, I get these horrible bruises that make it hard for me to type, hold a cane, or even read Braille. I am also trying to avoid using my pointers--or as I call them, the Sacred Braille fingers--because, ya know, Braille. If I use the sides of my fingers, however, it's hard for me to line up the hole with the blood test strip. If I get someone sighted to work with me, they can usually get enough to squeeze, but they have to be really precise and there is no blood to spare. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm having to prick sometimes 10 times to get a decent blood drop and I've had it.
Thanks,
Megan