[Diabetes-talk] Solus V2 Drawback

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Apr 22 18:47:05 UTC 2014

Hi, everyone.

I just discovered a Solus V2 "feature" this morning that will make this
version also a bust for me. This is a shame because I rather like the Solus
V2.

However, one can only review the immediate past ten readings from memory
audibly. The rest of the readings are still in memory but I've been told
that the chip-set to keep everything in memory audibly would make the meter
more expensive. My view is that this doesn't matter: I want the same access
*from the meter* that a sighted person has even if it costs more.

If you use the meter uploader to the computer site - mymeterlink.com - you
have access to all results. But I can't make the uploader do its thing: when
first run, one is supposed to enter one's account name and password in so
the meter can upload results properly. But I see no such prompts. So a fat
lot of good that does me.

Besides, there's the principle of the thing: if we're going to have access,
I want the *same* access as anyone else.

If BioSense Medical would get rid of all the fancy "featuritis" and just
have date/time and reading information as the prodigy Voice does, there'd be
more room to audibly store readings. Were I Biosense, I'd just have the
simple results or, if the fancy stuff is to be retained, they should switch
to a simple text-to-speech engine which itself would increase the cost. But
at least the results for us would take up no more room than they would for
the sighted.

Seems like diabetes companies haven't cottoned onto the elementary business
knowledge that if one is going to sell safety razors, one had better have a
decent razor-blade to put in it.

Mike Freeman