[Diabetes-talk] Total Diabetes supply

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Jan 20 04:16:44 UTC 2014

Most of the inaccuracy that people put down to their meters is, in fact, a
matter of variation in the strips -- remember that they react chemically
with your blood to produce a small electrical voltage which, over time,
allows your meter to determine what your blood glucose reading is.

Ten points could, indeed, be a "systematic" error. But you really wouldn't
know since you can't use the same strip on the two meters. In fact, meters
for home use are required only to be within 15% to 20% of lab standard. I
think this is deplorable but there do seem to be problems with strip
manufacture that make it difficult to get more accuracy than that given that
we want our results quickly and using a small blood sample and the fact that
there is such variability in technique used by the public to take their
readings.

Mike