[Diabetes-talk] New Member Looking for Bluetooth Glucose Meters Experience

Alan Lemly walemly at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 16:06:49 UTC 2014

Hello, I just joined the list and apologize if this topic has previously
been beaten to death.

I recently got a Wahoo Balance Smartphone Scale and am very impressed with
how easily it makes tracking my weight using my iPhone 5. The app that works
with it is VoiceOver friendly and a record is kept every time I step on the
scale. For those not so enamored of such a record, it is possible to delete
weights too.

The ease and accessibility of the Wahoo system made me think something
similar would be great for blood glucose meters. I still have some vision
and am able to use my OneTouch UltraSmart meter but I'm trying to think
ahead to the day when I'm going to need a speaking meter. I'm aware of the
Prodigy and the Solo meters but I'd prefer something that works with my
iPhone.

I did a Google search and found the OneTouch VerioSync meter which touts
itself as the first meter that can transfer scores wirelessly to your iPhone
using bluetooth. The companion app that works with this meter is called
OneTouch Reveal. Anyone wishing to read about it in the iTunes Store can do
so at this link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onetouch-reveal/id651293599?mt=8

I've downloaded the Reveal app to my phone but have yet to experiment with
it. I'd prefer getting comments from those who might already be using this
system for its accessibility and ease of use. If anyone knows of any other
blood glucose meter system that works with the iPhone, I'd be interested in
learning about that too.

I've just recently gotten on Medicare so now is a good time to make a
decision about changing blood glucose meters to get something more
accessible as I will be getting new scripts from my doctor for my new
Medicare plans.

Thanks for any comments y'all can share.

Alan Lemly