[Diabetes-talk] help being blind is all right but being blind and a diabetic is not good at all

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Sat Mar 15 21:37:19 UTC 2014

Dotty, two things.
On a Windows computer I use the program HyperTerminal. The trick is you need
a cable that will go from the little mini serial plug of the meter to USB
for the computer. It's getting a little trickier than it used to be because,
for instance, in the case of the FreeStyle, there's something about the
cable that makes it only work with their totally inaccessible software. So I
found an older cable that just happens to have the right plug on one end,
and eventually connected it up with other cables so I had a USB connector on
the end. In the computer, for the FreeStyle I just tell it the baud rate and
that gets set and remembered. Then when I want to read my result, I just
type the command "Mem" and it spits the data back to me.
It's not the ideal in that the functions of the meter as I use it don't
speak this way. It's just for getting the result when the test is done. But
since this is the BG meter I prefer, this allows me to use my meter of
choice. My hubby had made me a cable that connected to an old Braille 'n
speak which was really easy. But alas, no old technology hangs on forever.
<whimper> So this will do. <grin>
If you want more detail and specifics, just let me know.
Thanks.
Veronica

We woof you a Merry Christmas!
Make the humans and dogs on your list really happy by giving them music from
Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407