[Diabetes-talk] A few questions about continuous glucose monitors

Megan Bening mebening at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 04:54:19 UTC 2014

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone on this list uses a continuous  glucose
monitor and, if so, which one do you use? How accessible do you  find
it? Are there any that you guys prefer? I was recently diagnosed  with
hypoglycemia which is clearly not the same thing as diabetes, but  I'm
finding that I'm constantly fairly low, especially overnight,  and
right now my endo and I are trying to find an underlying cause as  well
as trying to look at my options for glucose management. The reason  why
I would like to use a CGM if possible is because right now, my  levels
tend to fluctuate wildly. I can use my protegy voice and get a  reading
as of that minute, but have no knowledge as to whether I am rising  or
falling, or where I've been since my last reading, etc. I also tend  to hang out in my 40s overnight, and the low alarm on the
CGM  alerts me to this so I don't wake up in the morning feeling  awful.
Right now, I am borrowing a Dexcom G4. I like that it has  distinctly
different musical tunes for a high or low alert, and the alarms  are
fairly loud. I can also get around the menus to some degree just  by
counting button presses, similar to how we all used to use old  cell
phones/iPods, but wondered if anyone has a CGM that works better  or
had found a better way of managing it. One thing that I am not  crazy
about is that right now, in order to enter my BG, I either have to  get
a sighted person to help me, or I have to arrow down about 150  times
to make sure that I am at 20, the lowest reading, and then arrow  back
up to wherever I am supposed to be. And that's not even saying anything about whether or not there are alerts on the screen that need to be dismissed before trying to access the menus, which aren't always obvious if you can't see them. I'm also trying to figure out  what
the underlying OS in the G4 is. It looks a lot like Simbion to me  and,
if that's the case, couldn't something be scripted to voice? I  know
the trend graph might be difficult to adapt audibly, but even  being
able to arrow through a list of my readings, and see whether  I'm
rising or falling, would help a lot. Does anyone have any tips?  Also,
do you guys know if any of the other CGMs on the market right  now
integrate with iOS or Android? What do you use? What works well  for
you, and what doesn't? I tried to Google this, but I'm kind of  finding
a whole lot of nothing and figured someone on this list might  know
something to help me.
Thanks for any assistance you can  give!
Best,
Megan