[Diabetes-talk] Excellent Deal on Solus V2 Meter and Strips

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Oct 6 23:23:54 UTC 2014

Alan:

There is one "feature" of the Solus V2 that people should be aware of and
that almost everyone ignores; it's a "feature" that I think should be
prominently publicized.

In fact, the Solus V2 was *not* primarily intended for the blind or visually
impaired market although BioSense Medical did modify the meter firmware to
make it a bit easier for the blind/visually impaired to use. The Solus V2 is
primarily intended for the Medicare market -- especially the elderly type 2
who may not keep his/her own logbook as best practices say he/she should.
The talking feature was primarily designed for those who might not be able
to see the screen all that well and might need some reinforcement of the
knowledge of the reading.

But ONLY THE LAST TEN READINGS can be reviewed using speech. Any farther
back and a sighted person needs to review them. This is using the meter
itself. If one uploads logs to the MyMeterLink website, one can read all the
readings on that site.

But if one isn't especially savvy but one is a conscientious diabetic and
really does keep his/her own logbooks, he/she must write down readings
immediately in order to have access to the readings without sight.

Now if one doesn't keep a logbook and doesn't keep track of readings, the
Solus is a good deal. And I like the Solus V2. But that "last ten readings"
feature is a show-stopper for me.

Why can't we review all readings? BioSense Medical put money into making the
Solus V2 speak both English and Spanish and a representative tells me that
the meter would have to cost a lot more to implement review of the entire
memory using speech.

So I have a Solus V2 for emergencies but went back to the Prodigy Voice.

Mike Freeman