[Diabetes-talk] Apple Watch to Have Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 11 17:37:33 UTC 2015

All:

I am extremely doubtful. The Wall Street Journal had an article on this and
they seemed to indicate that the Apple Watch would be working with a Dexcom
CGMS and would merely be a display vehicle for the CGMS readings -- a
graphical representation at that -- and perhaps could keep track of the
readings. However, one would still have to use the Dexcom CGMS with its
censor under the skin and fingerstick calibration. I doubt the Apple Watch
will have a mechanism for examining intersticial fluid as the GlucoWatch
did; such a system would definitely require FDA 510(k) approval.
Another diabetes news site said that Apple and perhaps Microsoft both had
applications in with FDA for 510(K) approval for glucose-measuring
capability on their smart watches -- but this is only a rumor. The site said
that Apple and Microsoft had hired lots of people with optical censor
experience.
Frankly, we've heard it all before about optical censors being used to
obtain glucose readings -- anyone remember the SugarTrak? Or the MIT
physicist that said he had a fool-proof algorithm for predicting blood
glucose readings from light passing through the skin? Ain't it funny we only
saw his method discussed *once*?
The bottom line is that I believe the odds are good that all this is
more-or-less vaporware -- either that or Apple is planning for some sort of
galvanic skin response censor in the Apple Watch in the future -- something
already available, presuming that sweating is *always* a harbinger of
glucose excursions from the norm.
So I say wait and see.
On the other hand, I think the system Tom Ley is working with might hold
some possibilities. Perhaps we can discuss this during this summer's
diabetes seminar.

Mike Freeman