[Diabetes-talk] newly diagnosed

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Fri Aug 7 20:30:22 UTC 2015

Rachel, the alternate sites require a very different approach. You use a
different cap on the lancing device which is clear. After you stick the
site, you have to have enough blood and hold the spot until the cap fills. I
haven't known of any blind person who has successfully done alternate site
testing. That doesn't mean someone hasn't outsmarted me for sure. <grin> The
only time I used alternate site testing was with an old meter called the
Softact. Man I loved that meter! The user just couldn't mess up. Boy was it
loud though. What was really cool about it was that you could preload the
strip and stabber in the meter and just take it with you. When it was time
for a test, you'd press it against the hand or arm and turn it on. It would
prick, create a vacuum and then suck the blood on the strip. When it had
enough it would release the vacuum, beep and give you a result. It didn't
talk, of course. I'd connect it to a computer and do a memory dump like I do
with my FreeStyle Lite that I use now. But if I were traveling and in a
restaurant with my hubby, man, it was just so easy to do quickly before
getting out of the car or anywhere. I just loved that thing. Apparently it
went away because people thought it was too big. But if it came out today,
I'd snap it up in a heart beat to give my fingers a break. I know they say
alternate site testing is not as accurate as finger sticks but it beats no
number at all.
As for getting the blood on the strip, Eileen, that was a great description.
I am one of those who has to have my hands in warm water before I can do a
stick. Then I stab the side of my finger, lie my hand down palm up. Touch
the end of the strip to the pad of my finger and then slide towards the side
where I've pricked. Just before reaching that part of my finger I turn the
meter so that the part of the strip that schlurps up the blood is lightly
touching my finger. I then slowly head for what I hope is the blood. For me,
quite often there's nothing there the first couple of tries.
Sometimes I just move too soon. Sometimes I accidentally run into the blood
as I am milking my finger or the drop falls off before I get there.
So the most important thing to remember is that no matter what people say,
this is not a perfect process for us. Just keep trying. Most of the time if
I don't succeed in three tries, I just go on with my life. Once in awhile I
struggle and struggle and then, well, the language isn't always pretty. And
that's just how it is. <grin>
And how ridiculous of the insurance company. My hubby has the same pre or
borderline diagnosis and his insurance won't cover an A1C test. All my
cynical mind goes to is wow, someone's making good money off of heart
attacks and other complications! But Mike is right. Don't let the burocrats
mess with your health. But I wouldn't advise sharing a meter with your
hubby. My endo downloads my meter at each appointment and you might improve
his numbers? <laughing!>
Good luck and fire away here any ol' time.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407