[Diabetes-talk] newly diagnosed

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Aug 7 20:34:00 UTC 2015

Rachel:

Your endo is correct; blood obtained from the fingers is more reliable
because it responds more quickly to changes in blood glucose than does blood
obtained from alternate sites such as the leg or forearm. Additionally
(although I have met a CDE who told me that she had successfully coached
blind diabetics to use alternate site testing), every blind diabetic I have
met has had little to no success using alternate site testing for the
precise reason many people like it -- one feels the lancet-prick less. While
this is an incentive to use alternate site testing, the drawback is that we,
the blind, rely *precisely* on feeling the prick to know where we've pricked
ourselves.

Different strokes for different folks.

Mike Freeman