[Diabetes-talk] newly diagnosed

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Fri Aug 7 23:56:09 UTC 2015

Sandra,
First, let me say how much I share your frustration. Amen!
As to the strips, the only way I get around this is to force the doctor to
increase the number of times I test each day. If the insurance companies
insist on everything being perfect, this is the only way to have enough
strips to allow for mistakes or machine errors.
I gave up on the Prodigy a long time ago. The other accessible meter is the
Solus V2. I still just use a regular non-talking FreeStyle Lite meter which
I connect up to a computer or an old Braille 'n speak to read the number.
Not the most efficient but I prefer the meter.
In my opinion we had better access to meters back in the nineties when we
had third party speech boxes to attach to some of the same meters that
sighted people used. Unfortunately all of these companies can't seem to see
past the word liability, law suit, lawyer. It cracked me up to get a meter
labeled in braille, cassette instructions with braille on the cassette and
there it is in the middle of the instructions! This meter isn't really
intended to be used independently by a totally blind person. Good grief! So
in my opinion we have a long way to go, keeping up with all of the
technology now used in what is now standard care for diabetes management.
Okay, off my soap box now. Good thought about the serial numbers though.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407