[Diabetes-talk] Lantus pin

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed May 13 04:24:02 UTC 2015

When you push it, it has a definite indent in, plus it makes a slight click
sound. I have doubled check with sighted people, and when you feel the
indent when pushing and hear the click, it has selected an item. If either
of these don't happen, apparently it has not selected an item.

Again, pumps are not for everyone, but I know many blind diabetics do not
trust a non-talking pump, and this is a legit concern, but from my personal
experience, in ten years, I have never had a problem with my pump, or my
diabetes in regards from the pump because of an error I made because my pump
lacked full accessibility. For example, I have never made a mistake
drastically affecting my sugars because I errored with the pump.

However, we need to continue to crusade for accessible pumps. Like
everything else, we shouldn't be denied something available to others,
especially when it's something becoming the rule in diabetic care. 99% of
kids diagnosed with diabetes are put on pumps as soon as possible. Seems
like it should be a device made for everyone. And with diabetes being one of
the leading causes of blindness, pumps should be available with
accessibility since more and more diabetics are losing vision.

And companies in the past have worked on pumps just for the blind, but I
think existing pumps just need to include a talking feature that can be
turned on or off, just like Apple products. We don't need a pump just for
us, though either way, I would take it.