[Diabetes-talk] need help for friend

Tia D Jenkins jenkins_tia at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 05:12:46 UTC 2015

I need some help for a friend of mine.  She is also diabetic and visually
impaired like me.  She is almost totally blind now due to her diabetes but
she is also half deaf due to a growth in her ear as a child  She has tried
all kinds of pills to control her sugar but her a1c was almost 11 and she
was just diagnosed with stage 2 kidney failure.  Her doctor wants her on
Insulin but due to her hearing loss she cannot make out the clicks for a
quick pen (cause the clicks are for people with normal hearing).  She cannot
see good enough to tell if there is an air bubble or if she had the correct
dose in a syringe.  We finally got VNA to come out and pre fill 2 weeks of
medicine at a time but they keep trying to get out of it.  They keep saying
she needs to get better friends (who aren't handicapped) , learn to do it
herself, move into a nursing home, or give up her home and move in with her
sister who lives out of state.  This is after her insurance company
(Wellcare Medicare advantage plan) said they would approve them coming out.
Does anyone have any idea of an adaptive aid that might be able to help.
She has gone to her department of the blind but she gets no help.  She has
asked for help in getting other adaptive aids like an audio thermostat for
her heating and air cause she has one of the OLD slide bar ones that is hard
for a sighted person to use is tearing up.  They told her they don't have
money to help buy adaptive aids unless she was needing them for work.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Tia Jenkins

---