[Diabetes-talk] [Diabetes-Talk] Best glucose monitor to use

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Apr 28 02:26:08 UTC 2016

Jolena:

Insofar as I am aware, there are only two more-or-less fully-accessible
blood glucose monitors. One is the Prodigy Voice which you can get from the
NFB Independence Market. The other is the Solus V2 from BioSense Medical;
you can get it from Advanced Diabetic Solutions in Atlanta, GA. You can get
it from other places such as Amazon but you cannot be sure you're getting
the latest firmware if you go that route.

The only drawback to the Solus V2 is that only the last ten readings in
memory may be spoken even though the rest are there; sight is required to
read the rest via speech. This is because The Solus speaks both English and
Spanish and so the memory doesn't have enough space to handle more than ten
readings using speech.

Insofar as I am aware, there is no meter that speaks both glucose and
ketons.

No meter will be anything as accurate as a lab-standard meter in a hospital.
For home meters, the regs only require that they be within twenty percent of
lab standard. In any case, accuracy is more a matter of testing technique
than anything else.

Mike Freeman