[Diabetes-talk] So much for keeping traffic down on the list, huh? ; -)

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 19:22:13 UTC 2016

They make two talking meters. The Prodigy and the Soluce (I may be spelling
that second one wrong). I prefer the Prodigy Voice. It's fully accessible
and is pretty accurate.

I test 6 to 8 times a day. I've been type one diabetic for 30 years, so it's
become a part of my routine. I've had my struggles and went through times
where I didn't manage things the way I should have, but now in my mid-30s,
I've learned that sh*# happens in life, and you either get on board or not.
And if not, in the case of diabetes, you end up with major health
complications or worse. I have a son and now another one on the way, and I
want to be around and healthy for them. I don't want major health
complications, which can happen no matter what, but when you don't take care
of your diabetes, they are a guarantee.

I also use an insulin pump. I have for about 12 years now. Personally, I
love it and feel my sugars are in the best control since being on a pump.
But you have to be serious about testing and carb counting when using a
pump. Well, you do no matter the form of insulin injection, but with a pump,
it seems if mismanaging, things can go south much quicker. A friend of mine
was recently taken off his pump because he has not been managing, and ended
up in hospital with DKA. He goes weeks without testing, and does not often
give insulin, causing him to be constantly high. It caught up to him.

BTW, diabetics don't usually have food restrictions, it's just about
portions and moderation. We can eat sugar and junk, just not every meal, and
maybe not a slice of pie the size of a plate or six candy bars, LOL! But
then again, no one should. And it's also about taking the correct
insulin/carb ratio, if insulin dependent. Personally, I avoid refined sugar
and wheat and grains, but that's more about other reasons than diabetes
alone. They just aren't great for anyone. But to have the occasional treat
or candy or baked good or fastfood item or whatever your likes are, it's
totally okay.

Everybody here is in it together. We live through the same things every day.
We all test and regulate with some method of treatment. We all determine
what should and should not be a part of our diet. We provide encouragement
and information and support.