[Diabetes-talk] re questio nabout cgm and can you use without insulin pump

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Wed Aug 31 23:23:26 UTC 2016

I was a little surprised to hear that a friend of mine that is followed by
an indocrinologist at Yale New Haven Hospital went as an out patient to have
her blood sugars tested out and wore a Dextrom CGM for 5 days.  She then
returned it all back and got the results of it at her next visit.

Now I think that is fantastic!  Do you know if they are doing this in your
area?

I have just had my second denial from my insurance company for the CGM.  I
have an advocate that is working on the denials.  I am just 65 and I have
United Health and they are standing with Medicare on refusal of payment for
the CGM.  I still have a little more to go before I can not appeal it.
Right now it has been sent to an outside resource to be looked at, so until
I get an answer back from this, then it will be considered the second
denial.

United Health has approved the Medtronics 530G.  When I first started down
this rode I was told that they would not approve the 530G as it has the
sensors on board and they would approve the older model.  United Health did
approve the 530G model for me, but so far I am fighting for the CGM as I
need the auto turn off of the pump for up to 2 hours with sugars going too
low.  I don't feel reactions any more  and have been found on the floor to
frequently unconscious.  I do live by myself since my husband died 2 years
ago.

I will let everyone know how I make out with the insurance company.

Joyce