[Diabetes-talk] Questions from a newly

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Dec 16 19:30:04 UTC 2016

Hello, Juan. Welcome to our list. I'm sure others will chime in; that's what
this list is all about, after all. Now to your questions.

(1) at this time, there are only two fully-accessible solutions to the
problem of ascertaining your blood sugar: one is the Prodigy Voice which you
can buy from the NFB Independence Market for $50 or so -- I forget the exact
price. MaxiAids and Independent Living also carry it. This meter allows you
full access: setting time and date, units of bg measurement and review of
all readings in memory without sight. And although many pharmacies have not
heard of the Prodigy Voice, it works with strips for the Prodigy autocode
(one pharmacies are more familiar with) so I just tell insurance and/or my
pharmacy to get Autocode test strips and be done with it. Until recently,
there was another meter -- the Solus V2 from BioSense Medical -- that was
almost fully accessible. However, I suspect it will be discontinued rather
soon as BioSense is having trouble getting suppliers who will carry its
strips and who will accept Medicare reimbursement. The second solution is
the DEXCom G5 continuous blood glucose monitoring system; its iPhone app is
accessible.
(2) If you use insulin viles, there is a device (again sold by the
Independence Market) called a count-a-dose, that will take two viles and
excepts B&D 50-unit syringes. In a nutshell, one clicks back the plunger
which cliks once per unit of insulin (this assumes U100 insulin). If you're
using insulin pens, they also click, once per unit or (in some cases), once
per half-unit.

Hope this helps and let the discussion begin.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB Diabetes Action Network