[Diabetes-talk] DexCom G5 Mobile CGM system...

ed worrell ntnmprt at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:02:06 UTC 2016

Hello Listers,

I am new to the list and I thought that I would share my thoughts on the DexCom G5 Mobile System. The DexCom G5 works with Android and iPhone smartphones. It is a true wireless CGM (Continues Glucose Monitor)  System. I have been using it with my iPhone 6S+ for the last 3 Months or so. My A1C has dropped 2.5 points in the last 3 months. Yea! I am now hovering around 7.0 to 7.3...!! The system checks your blood glucose every 5 minutes. It will give you alerts for high BG, Low BG, Quick Rise Alerts, Quick lowering Alerts. Both Quick rise, and Lowering Alerts have to be rising/lowering at a rate of 3MG/Dl per minute for it to detect it’s going either direction to quickly. You have to calibrate the sensor a minimum twice a day. The app is usable by VoiceOver users on the iPhone, but I am not really sure about the accessibility of the Android app as I can’t tare myself away from the iOS eco-system to try… The only thing that is not accessible to VoiceOver users is the Graph at the bottom of the screen, and the Arrow this tells you what direction your BG is going, (i.e. arrow pointing right means your BG is level, Arrow to the right and up means it is going up slowly, arrow pointing straight up means that your BG is rising quickly, and vise versa for down, and to the right, and straight down). (This button is labeled as Circle button) is not read by Voiceover other than the label of the button. I have contacted DexCom and they said that they would look into the accessibility issues. Sorry for the long post. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have included the link to the company page.

http:://www.dexcom.com

Thanks,

Ed Worrell