[Diabetes-talk] New Member To The List, and alternate site testing

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:33:12 UTC 2016

A few years ago, my doctor suggested I consider alternate site testing just
because I've been pricking my fingers for so long. Actually, my fingers are
good. No loss of sensitivity because of poking, and no permanent calluses,
(I moisturize frequently and alternate between all fingers and all over the
fingers) but nonetheless, they thought it worth considering. When I was a
kid and sighted, they made the same suggestion so I could alternate where I
test, similar to how you alternate where you inject insulin, but I never
liked it. I currently use a Prodigy Voice, and my nurse educator, who has
been amazing and has become a family friend in the last 13 years since I've
known her, said alternate testing should work fine. I just don't like the
idea of testing elsewhere than my fingers. The best I have done is start
testing with my thumbs in the last 8 years or so. I've been diabetic for 30
years now, and my fingers are still going strong, grin.