[Diabetes-talk] New Member To The List, and alternate site testing

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Thu Feb 25 00:56:23 UTC 2016

When I think of those early talking meters, wow! They needed a hanging drop
of blood. So companies made these gadgets with names like "sure drop" to
place on top of the meter. We'd prick our fingers and when there was enough
blood on this gadget, in theory, the drop of blood would slide down this
tephlan and land in the hole in the strip. The worst part for me was that in
talking with LifeScan, if the engineers had made a square hole instead of a
round one, we would have been able to just put the blood in without all the
extra nonsense. Anybody remember the old One Touch Profile? I just can't
help remembering a quote from Ed Bryant about that meter. He said, by the
time you've gotten enough blood to satisfy the Profile, you've given enough
for a complete profile!
For me, I think my record is 17 finger sticks for one single test. Multiply
that to six times a day and it got really rough for those first ten years.
My callouses from playing instruments aren't anything like these. Sometimes
now, the problem is that the callouses, lumps are so big that it's hard to
get the lancing device down in there to aim for another spot on my finger.
I've been pretty successful when I really pay attention but now there's just
so little space left. Boy do I wish they'd been telling the truth about
those "coming soon" non-invasive meters back in the nineties!
Okay, back to work! Thanks again.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407