[Diabetes-talk] Getting Enough Blood in the Testing Strips

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Jul 13 14:45:32 UTC 2016

In the book "Bridging the Gap", available on the NFB website, is an article
on fingersticking techniques. Each individual ends up with his/her own
preferred technique. Some people warm their hands under warm water for a
minute (making sure the finger is dry again before testing); some people rub
their fingers vigorously to get circulation going; some people put a
rubber-band on the finger and let the blood accumulate before undoing the
rubber-band; experimentation is the best teacher.

But, as Mark says, strips don't "close up". There is a little notch in the
top of the strip into which you put the blood and it is sucked into the
innards of the strip by capillary action. My experience is that it's
*always* better to bring the strip to the puncture sight, holding the hand
flat, rather than the other way around as one of the principal problems
blind diabetics have is that they smear the blood rather than letting it
accumulate as a bead that rolls into the notch.

I know this sounds contrary to our philosophy but I'd have a colleague with
some vision watch you attempt to test; he/she may be able to help you by
telling you what's going on. Do you have a certified diabetes educator?
Perhaps he/she can assist you.

Mike Freeman, DAN President