[Diabetes-talk] re question about injecting inusling better to perform this task in teh morning or at night

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 02:27:29 UTC 2016

Typically, if you use pens, you use a long-lasting insulin that you take
once a day. It last 12 to 24 hours, depending on the type you use. Then you
bolus for meals. So when you eat, you count carbs and inject whatever amount
is your carb/insulin ratio amount. For pump users, you have basal rates set
up that deliver several times a day at various amounts. Then you also bolus
for meals through your pump. For most insulin dependent diabetics, you
inject insulin several times a day, not just once or twice.

A few type 2s use just a long-lasting insulin, and would only inject once or
twice a day. In any case, your doctor determines what is the best approach.