[Diabetes-talk] Another Talking Glucose Meter

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Oct 1 20:28:47 UTC 2016

The Embrace most definitely is FDA 510(k) approved. However, it is, like
many talking meters, designed for Medicare folks who may need a bit of
reinforcement in order to fix the reading in memory so they can write it
down. It does not allow review of memory using speech, nor can it be set up
without sighted assistance. In this, it is like the Companion, the Prodigy
Autocode, the Clevercheck, etc.

I say there are still only *two* fully accessible meters on the market --
the Prodigy Voice and the Solus V2 and even the latter only allows review of
the last ten readings in memory with speech although the other memories are
there. The way to solve this, of course, would be to use a Victor Reader
Stream, Booksense or Blaze-EZ or equivalent to note down readings before the
ten readings are up. That's what I'm gonna do when my Solus V2 strips come
in.

Mike Freeman