[Diabetes-talk] Cereals and snacks I can eat?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 16:39:46 UTC 2016

I'm not saying this to be argumentative in any way, but there's plenty of
research out there to support organic foods and how it's better than
non-organic.

Again, organic is not for everyone, especially if you truly can't afford it
or if it's difficult to find in your area. As I've mentioned, you can find
organic products at reasonable prices. And I've always been a firm believer
that most things can be afforded if you budget them in. A friend who eats
fastfood frequently always chides me about the what I spend on organic
foods. So we once tested how much we spend a week on food, me on organic,
them on fastfood, and it came out about the same. So it's often about
priorities.

But I'm not pressuring anyone. Yes, I choose to eat certain foods and
products, but it's a personal choice, one you have to make on your own
without pressure from anyone.

But I wouldn't call it a scam. You still should do your research on products
labeled organic. It's not a given it's great for you. And versions of junk
food made from organic ingredients like cake and candy and snacks still have
carbs and calories. But lots of research have been done to support organic
eating and home-grown foods. I know some will disagree, and that's okay, I
just wanted to make my point in an effort to share information.

Ultimately, as long as you're making better choices about food in general,
incorporating fresh fruits and veggies, and eating balanced meals, that's
most important.

One comment on peanut butter. Unless it's organic or all-natural, peanut
butter is high in trans-fat. And trans-fat should be avoided like the
plague. Just research trans-fat, and you will want to avoid it. it's the bad
kind of fat that not only causes a lot of health problems, but you cannot
get rid of easily. Lots of foods have trans-fat, especially pre-packaged
food, peanut butter being high on the list. I believe Smuckers makes an
all-natural peanut butter that has no trans-fat. And companies can get away
with saying something has zero grams of trans-fat on the nutrition label if
it's less than 1, but even that much as unhealthy. What you need to check
for is in the ingredients list and look for hydgronated or partially
hydrgonated oil. The closer to the top of the list it is, the more trans-fat
it contains. But if listed at all, I say avoid.