[Diabetes-Talk] DXCom G5 First Time User

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Tue Aug 8 22:12:23 UTC 2017

Hi Jamie and all!
Well, I did just come back from guide dog school with a spunky little yellow
lab named Ricotta. And boy did my diabetes gear get tested!
Oh lucky me, I managed to seriously sprain my foot and ankle on our second
walk! I tell you, I hope I never know that much pain again. I ended up at
urgent care and getting put on a short stint of prednisone. This meant that
not only was I closely watching my Dexcom, but I got to play with temp
basals on the stupid Animas. Man, what a piece of junk! I couldn't tell you
why sometimes those various okay buttons didn't take and had it not been for
the KNFB reader, I would have never known whether or not I'd set a temp
basal. It didn't help that the temp doesn't go as high or for as long as the
Cozmo did or what I actually wanted. It kind of made me feel like I was
always fussing with diabetes garbage. But I did successfully manage to get
myself out of various jams without having to ask for help from instructors.
Sheesh!
Upon coming home, I got another round of pred as well as an injection in my
knee on account of messing everything else up trying to walk on the bad foot
and finish class. Last week, I did nothing but lie around and cry. <grin>
So we're starting to move around a bit more this week and my pred routine is
dropping. I will be so glad when I'm done monitoring temp basals. What a
pain!
But at least with the Dexcom I know what's happening. I can't say I'm one of
those with perfect readings right now but at least I can react to what
happens. And on top of that, man, I really thought I'd brought plenty of
cartridges with me. But I wasn't counting on so much extra pred. Would you
believe, I ran out of cartridges on my very last night. I had to rely on my
backup pen so that I'd have enough insulin in my pump for the trip home.
Boy, sure showed me how lousy my control is with a pen. Oops!
But it is nice to have a wicked smart dog around again.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407