[Diabetes-Talk] Questions Re Medicare Coverage of DexcomG5 System.

Daniel Chavez topdog2046 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 17:59:45 UTC 2017

Hello list,
I may have some notions to everyone's questions as to how Medicare may know as to the device being used.
I was looking around Dexcom Clarity, and your transmiter and receiver have cereal number's and these are viewable on the website.
In edition, the upload date of each device is displayed as to when data was last uploaded.
So my guess is that, if medicare requested user data from Dexcom, they'd see, for instance and as an example.
Joe has both a Dexcom (G5) receiver, and Dexcom (G5) transmiter. He also has the Dexcom mobile app for iPhone.
Joe favors his iPhone app more than his receiver just because, and for no reason.
Joe has 1 month of readings, and medicare requests Dexcom give user data to Medicare. Since Joe never used his receiver to upload data, Dexcom Clarity only shows just the Dexcom Mobile system, with Joe's transmiter cereal number attached.
Thus, Medicare concludes that, Joe must be using a smartphone app and not his receiver, and therefore, mandates he pay back what Medicare paid for his supplies.
So in short, my notion is that, the only way they'd know is if they can look at the last upload dates for both just the G5 Mobile as well as the receiver. Because the G5 Mobile application streams data all of the time, while the receiver does not, then that's how I figure, at least, they can tell.
I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain I'm not. The problem then becomes, what if you were one of those who uploaded results daily with your receiver? Then what?
For me, my doctor said because i'm vision impaired/blind, I can take the risk of using my phone, but to also take my receiver and calabrate and collect readings on both my phone and my receiver, that way Medicare can't say I'm only using my phone for a display device. Then, when my doctor wants to see me, they'd simply download all of my receiver data and keep it on their clarity healthcare account, or else, download it into either a .CSV or .PDF, so that if Medicare ever requests a 30 day supply worth of readings from the "primary display device," (which would be the receiver), the doctor can give those readings to them in a report.
I hope that that answers everyone's questions as to Medicare knowing. If I'm wrong as to my answer or conclusion, however, someone can kindly correct me.
Have an awesome day all.