[Diabetes-Talk] {Spam?} Diet information

Jean Menzies jemenzies at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 27 19:33:44 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

First, I will say up front that I do not have diabetes. I am, however, looking for information on eating well with respect to preserving and maintaining kidney health. While diet considerations are different, they are related. I am not looking for specific diet suggestions. What I am looking for are comprehensive lists of foods so that I can track protein, carbs, fats, and overall calories. For kidney health, protein is what I need to manage right now.

I thought that this group might be a good group to turn to, as I know diabetics track food nutrients. i do not eat a lot of packaged food, but prefer to cook more from scratch and focus on whole foods. For example, I might want to know X amount of chicken has how much protein, etc.? I’m also looking for information on daily requirements and serving sizes so that my nutrient balance is more in line.

Are there any good resources either in braille, on the Internet, or as an iPhone app where I can look up foods by amount to determine nutrient content? I do not live in the U.S., so please don’t recommend anything from the Library  of Congress.

If this forum is only for diabetics, please let me know, and I will unsubscribe. Thanks.

Jean