[Diabetes-Talk] {Spam?} Diet information

TALey at ups.com TALey at ups.com
Mon Feb 27 22:14:53 UTC 2017

Hi Jean,

One resource on the web I like a lot is www.DirectionsForMe.org

This site specializes in providing all the information on the package label for many thousands of foods as well as a variety of consumer products such as over the counter medications. For instance, if you have a particular frozen dinner you need the nutrition information for, or the cooking instructions for, you can type the brand and key words into the search box and find the item in the search results. When you click on the item in the search results you go to a page with all the information on the package, including instructions, warnings, nutrition info, etc. And it is all accessible! The site was designed specifically for the blind person using a screen reader. The database is quite extensive, it is fun just to search through the categories, or to type a key word and see all the products that match. And it includes so much more than just food products.

I know you are primarily interested in cooking from scratch and whole foods, so I did a quick test on two items, red potatoes and boneless chicken breasts.

In both cases the search results included a product that was simply the whole food. For example, for red potatoes, the results included many packaged foods that included red potatoes, but one of the first five items was also a bag of uncooked red potatoes, just like you would purchase in the produce aisle at your grocer. The same was true when I searched for boneless chicken breast.

In both cases, it provided a table with the serving size and all the relevant nutrition information.

Hope this helps.

Tom