[Diabetes-Talk] Your new president...

Jamie Gurganus jamielgurganus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:51:11 UTC 2017

Veronica,

I am a new subscriber to this site and found it while searching for other
diabetics who are blind and use insulin pumps.  Much like you, I have been
independently using an insulin pump for 18 years.  I am currently using the
Accucheck Spirit, but Roche suddenly chose to not sell any of their
Accucheck pumps any more.  And, like your Cosmo, my Spirit has about a month
left before completely shutting down on me.  I did visit my Diabetic
Educator and looked at the options for pumps.  I also decided that the
Animas products would be the best, although not the perfect solution for me.
I also use the Dexcom G5, which my two teenagers help me use.  Even though
it is inaccessible to me, I need to use it to help me detect my llow blood
sugars.  I use my iPhone to know what my blood sugar is when it alarms me.

So, you and I are going to be learning how to use the Vibe together!  It
will be a true test of how well I can memorize things at my age!  I hope
that we can keep in  touch and share our experiences of how we are
conquering our new pumps!  The Animas rep assures me that they have other
individuals who are blind or visually impaired and successfully using their
pumps.  However, he could not tell me how I could contact these people.  I
am hoping to find help through Diabetes Talk.

				Jamie