[Diabetes-Talk] Need information where to contact for test strips for $5

Ladd, Kim (DBVI) Kim.Ladd at dbvi.virginia.gov
Fri Jan 13 14:22:24 UTC 2017

No prescription is needed to get strips. The reason to get a prescription is to get your insurance to cover all or most of the cost. Medicare and insurance companies cover at least 80% of the cost.. but you have the extra effort of getting a prescription from your doctor and then finding a pharmacy that carries or can order the Prodigy glucometer. One trick that I've found helpful is to have your physician write the prescription specifically for the Prodigy Voice glucometer and supplies. Some insurance companies will deny it, so then you have to get your doctor involved and the doctor can fill out a medical necessity form and the insurance will usually override their decision and cover the Prodigy and supplies. It's a hassle, but usually you only have this hassle once. However, because of the hassle involved, many people choose to just pay out of pocket for everything, but I'm one that tends to rock the boat and hold insurance companies to the fire :) lol
Walgreens is a community pharmacy that I have had success with getting the Prodigy Voice and supplies from. If they don't stock it they will order it, and most insurances are accepted by them.

Kim Ladd, RN, BS, CPHQ
Diabetes Educator
Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind & Vision Impaired