[Diabetes-Talk] Introduction

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 20:47:11 UTC 2017

Roanna,

Hello and welcome. Blindness doesn't have to affect our ability to manage
diabetes once you adjust and learn some techniques.

I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 4. I didn't lose my sight until I was
22. I didn't lose it from diabetes but from an infection. I've now been
blind for 14 years, and I'm totally blind. I use an insulin pump. The only
help I have with the pump is to set basal rates and fill insulin cartridges.
I test my blood sugars with a talking meter, the Prodigy Voice. I record my
own readings using an Excel spreadsheet on the computer. I also exercise
regularly, using my elliptical at home, swimming at the Y and
walking/jogging outside. And I eat healthy. There are lots of online way to
find out about nutrition and ingredient labels for foods.

My husband is also blind. We live in our own home with our 2 little boys. So
I don't have sighted help on a daily basis even if I wanted it, smile. If I
do need some help, and no one is available to come over, I Facetime on my
iPhone, which works very well.

If you have questions, this is the group to ask. Everyone always has an
answer, and you will find a wide variety of methods for managing diabetes
here. Diabetes is a very individual disease, so what works for one, may not
for another.