[Diabetes-Talk] Animas Vibe, I'm live!

Jamie Gurganus jamielgurganus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 11:48:39 UTC 2017

Veronica,

     First, I have my audio bolus set for 1 unit, and I take about 3-5 units
per meal with no problems.  Why do you think it won't let you take more than
two units?  I don't have the carb ratio feature or any of the other advanced
features turned on, because I just bolus the amount I know I need.  I've
taken up to eight units  with it wen my blood sugar hit the roof after
inserting one of the infusion sets wrong.  How could that happen?  Getting
used to using them and not removing the insertion device properly.  I was
kind of dislodging the cannula a bit when removing the insertion needle.
I'm doing much better now, but that is why I'm going back to my Ultraflex
sets!

Second, I haven't had to do a battery change yet, but I understand that it
will not change the date/time or other things if you do it quickly.  Not
sure how fast that has to be, but I'm kind of nervous about doing my first
one.  I'm also not sure how I'll know that the alert or alarm will be
telling me it is time to change my battery.  I wish there was a way to make
it have a separate sound than the low cartridge and other alerts.  I started
with my Vibe on Jan. 19, so I'm guessing that my battery will need to be
changed soon.

As for the infusion sets, I am giving all three of the Animas ones a try.
All three have their pros and cons.  As soon as my insurance allows me to
order another three month supply, I am going back to my favorite Ultrasets
from Roche.  Until I can't get them anymore, I'm going to go with them.  Do
you know how long the Cleos will be available to you?  I may have to try a
sample of them.  When I have to go back to the Animas products, I'll most
likely go with the Insets.  I like the Contact Detach too, but I am finding
that the metal cannula makes my muscle in that area tender for quite a few
days after removing it.  It is the one that looks like a little thumbtack
that you just manually plunge in to your skin.  It doesn't sting or hurt at
all until after it is removed.  It has been a tough decision for me, because
I don't know how long I will be able to keep getting the ones from Roche.  I
really like Animas and their customer service, so I was giving all of their
products a chance.  You have me very interested in the Cleos though.

I received an e-mail from Dexcom the other day that has me a little
confused.  The subject line is "A Special Promotion from an Insulin
Partner".    It is advertising the Omnipod tubeless insulin management
system.  I thought the Omnipod was discontinued.

I'm glad we have connected via Diabetes Talk.  I need to check out the
waist-it and the other accessories from that site.  Thanks!

				Jamie