[Diabetes-Talk] Animas Vibe, I'm live!

TALey at ups.com TALey at ups.com
Thu Mar 16 12:49:50 UTC 2017

Jamie,

Changing the pump battery
I don't think you need to worry about how long you will have to change the battery out when the time comes. I've never had an issue. The pump must use an internal long-lasting battery to keep the date and time and other settings preserved during the battery swap.
After putting the new battery in you must go through a series of confirmation screens to confirm the date and time are accurate, and confirming the battery type - either lithium or alkaline. It defaults to lithium, so it is easier to work through these screens if you always use lithium, which is the only sensible thing to do in my opinion. The lithium batteries last ten times longer than the alkaline in my pump, it seems.

I was never able to determine why the pump always requires a rewind and prime after each battery change. I've just assumed it is a safety measure. The Animas pumps are waterproof, and perhaps opening up the battery chamber and sealing it off again can mess with the pressure inside the pump and the rewind and prime somehow help re-establish the pressure? Just speculating here.

Hope this helps,
Tom