[Diabetes-Talk] Dexcom and Omnipod and Vibe Plus

Jamie Gurganus jamielgurganus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 12:42:25 UTC 2017

Veronica,

     I'm still confused about this audio bolus limit, since I don't seem to
have this issue.  Mine is set for 1 unit per button push, and I take 4-6
with each meal.  Last night though, I took eight units, since my homemade
taco bravos always require a little extra insulin.  I've never had it not
allow me to give any of these amounts, except for the time that I went
through several infusion sets and primes when first learning how to insert
them correctly.  The alarm went off that I exceeded the maximum daily
insulin amount, so I had to have my daughter increase that amount for me to
be able to take any more insulin for that day.

And, guess what happened last night?  My alarm went off that my battery was
low!  I jinxed it by asking everyone about it.  I consulted my notes from
when I trained with the rep and had my son confirm everything I was doing as
a back-up.  It was pretty simple.  And, I did think it was strange that it
takes you back to the home screen after confirming the battery and
date/time.  If it wants you to do a prime/rewind, it should take you right
there instead of hoping that you will remember to do it.

As for hospital stays, my endocrinologist told me that it is hard to be a
diabetic in the hospital.  I was able to keep my pump on me after having
surgery a couple of years ago, but  they had to have two nurses there when I
took any insulin.  It is for liability purposes, since nurses have to
document any meds that are given.  Since they weren't actually giving it,
one nurse would document what I gave while the other was the witness.
And, it was hard to wait each mealto have a blood sugar done, since I did
not have my meter with me.  That is one thing I will bring along the next
time.  The endocrinologist did come to see me at the hospital and changed my
basal rates to a temporary one while I was there.  And, I told him that he
needed to insist that my IV be changed from a 5% dextrose drip to just
normal saline!  No wonder my blood sugars were sky high!  I only had one of
the hospital doctors question my ability to manage my pump.  She wouldn't
discharge me until the diabetic educator visited me to make sure I knew how
to run the pump.  I am pretty sure that the diabetic educator let her know a
thing or two, since I have been an excellently controlled diabetic and pump
user for 18 years!  The nurse let me know that everything was OK for my
discharge!  Some people are just so ignorant as to the capabilities of
people who have a disability, especially blindness.

I am just impressed with how much you do with this pump in such a short
time.  Take care!

				Jamie