[Diabetes-Talk] Newly diagnosed with blood sugar testing concerns

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 03:55:41 UTC 2018

Amber,

First, welcome to the list. Glad you found it.

You will get a lot of great advice here with a lot of different way to do things. For any diabetic, it's finding out what works best for you. Here's what works for me:

I've been type 1 for more than 30 years, and I've been blind for 15 years of that. I'm totally blind too.

I've never heard of the Oh Well Prodigy. I know of the Autocode and the Voice by Prodigy. The Autocode is not fully accessible, but the Voice is. The Voice is able to be set up completely independently by blind people. For me, I've not struggled much with getting blood on the strip, but what I do is poke my finger, usually right below the pad or just off the side of it. With my other hand, I bring the meter to my poked finger, placing the strip where I felt the poke. Then I do a circular motion, and when it notifies me that it has accepted the blood, I hold my finger there a second longer before removing it. For me, the Prodigy Voice has worked out well, but there is another fully accessible meter I know others here prefer, the Clever Choice.

As for CGMs, they are amazing for several reasons, not just that you don't have to poke yourself as much. Right now, for blind people, there is Dexcom or Libre that are able to be used with the smart device app. Dexcom operates via Bluetooth whereas the Libre requires contact. I use Dexcom and don't know much about Libre. I have an iPhone 7, so don't actually know if it works or doesn't with a version 6.

Dexcom has the G5 and G6 models, both accessible for blind people when using the app. I'm currently using the G5, and the only difference is that the G6 sensor is supposed to be easier to insert, but personally, I don't find the G5 that difficult.

So, with Dexcom, you have a receiver, transmitter and sensor. The receiver looks like an iPhone, and this is the device reading out all the info. It's completely inaccessible, so, blind people use the app, which you just download in the app store, and it's free. The sensor is a sticker-like patch, a little smaller than a half dollar that you wear on your body and change every 7 days if using the G5 and every 10 days if using the G6. The transsmittor locks into the sensor. The transmitter is about the thickness of a thumb and about an inch in length.

You still have to calibrate by poking your finger and inputting the reading into the app. With the G5, you have to test 4 times a day and with the G6, I think it's only once a day. Not only does Dexcom constantly check your glucose levels, like every second, but it lets you know if you're staying constant, raising or lowering, and at what speed you're raising/lowering. It can track trends and alert you if you go too high or drop too low. You can input carbs, insulin, exercise and health right onto the app, and with the Dexcom Clarity app, your doctor can have direct access to your Dexcom.

I love Dexcom, and in the month I've been using it, it's really helped me better track, especially realizing what carbs do to my glucose levels at various times of the day. It's great having to test less often manually, but as I said, you still have to calibrate so, you still need a regular meter and need to know how to use it. Plus, you want back-up in case your tech fails, which is possible.

I hope this helps, and if you have more questions, please let me know. I know others will chime in here too.