[Diabetes-Talk] Dexcom and Medicare.

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 12:28:54 UTC 2018

I don't think anyone here has "admireable control," grin. We all try our
best. Some of us have been at this longer than others, which might help in
some ways, but, we all have our struggles. We all can learn from a group
like this and turn to each other for support.

Being insulin dependent in many ways is better, because, when you eat carbs,
you just bolus, meaning you don't really have restrictions in what you eat.
With anyone though, everything should be done in moderation. We can all
enjoy the things we like as long as we fit it into our unique meal plans.

My problem is probably not eating enough in a day. I have 2 little boys, so,
that doesn't help. I'm always grabbing quick things for on the go, usually a
Glucerna shake. By the end of the day, I'm usually too tired to eat. So,
since I'm on an insulin pump, my basal rates reflect this, being set to very
low amounts. But, when I do indulge, it's usually savory things like chips
and popcorn or frenched fries.

I also grew up with very health-consciouss parents, so, when I was diagnosed
with type one at age 4, it wasn't a big leap for my parents to adjust to a
new lifestyle. It also helped that when I had to change up my diet, my
entire family did. That support helped me a lot, especially since I was so
young. My family was very active, so, it was natural for me to enjoy
exercise. My mom was a dance teacher, so, I grew up dancing, and my dad was
an athlete, so, we did a lot of family activities. Very early on, health and
fitness was engrained in me, so, when I became diabetic, we didn't have to
adjust much.

I was diagnosed with an eating disorder in my teens, and this is what
eventually caused my blindness. It directly compromised my diabetes, and
I've had to learn to recognize a healthy mindset about these things. As an
adult, every day, I have to make healthy choices. But, that's it, it's all
about making choices. Some days, I do better than other days.

But, a group like this is so great to have. We can share stories and
information and provide tips and suggestions. And what works for me, may not
for you, but, we have a resource in each other.