[Diabetes-Talk] 630g update

Amy Krout-Horn krouthorn at verizon.net
Fri Oct 5 17:27:09 UTC 2018

Hello,
Back in June, I shared my Medtronic dilemma with you all. I wanted to update and share what I’ve learned since then.
Once the pump trainer passed along the fact that there was absolutely no way that I could use the 630g as a totally blind person, to the regional Medtronic rep, the rep was helpful in trying to correct my problem.
The process began to drag when the third-party supplier that shipped the pump and the insurance company got involved. The supplier has a strict 30-day return policy, which I had exceeded, due to the fact that I had been led to believe from the beginning that the 630g would be accessible and I wasn’t able to schedule with a trainer until after the initial 30 days, whereupon we discovered the dreaded new locked screen problem.
Eventually, after more phone calls and texts and tears, I, –along with the Medtronic rep- convinced the supplier to take the 630g back and credit the insurance, so that I can begin the process again.
What now is in the works, is that I will be provided with a 700 series Medtronic pump. I’ve always used a 500 series and am not excited about a larger model, but I’m simply happy, that for now, I will be able to continue pump therapy.
I was told by the rep that Medtronic is aware of our problems as blind users, and they are working on it. I volunteered to consult with their research and development team with some ideas of how they could make the 630g locked screen accessible using the existing sounds already available on that model. I’ve heard nothing yet, but will continue to reach out.
For now, if you are about to warranty out or are considering pump therapy for the first time, and you are completely blind, tell your provider that the Medtronic 700 series is the ONLY model currently available that is, at least, semi-accessible.
As of today, I’m still wearing my out-of-warranty 500 series and keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to chug along until the 700 series replacement arrives. I received notification yesterday that the supplier has received paperwork from my diabetes healthcare provider, and that I’m being processed, so, hopefully, it won’t take much longer. I hope this information will be helpful. Thanks to everyone who responded in June. It really helped me feel less alone and less frustrated with all of this.
Peace and Light,
Amy