[Diabetes-Talk] Accessible alternative ways of testing blood sugar

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Fri Sep 7 21:08:27 UTC 2018

The important thing to remember about the FreeStyle Libre is that as of the last I knew, this device only gave readings when you asked it to do so. This means that you'd also not have alarms that warn you when you're high or low. In the case of the Dexcom G6, I have really benefitted from the "urgent low soon" alarm. It figures out by watching your pattern of a falling BG reading, when you might be about 20 minutes away from a low and alerts you so you can take action early to prevent it. I'm thrilled by the fact that I no longer have those rebound readings after going low. I will not be switching at this time to the Libre even if it's cheaper because I think I'm getting what I pay for.
Right now I don't know the full cost of the G6 because I do have good insurance coverage. But the sensors are different than those for the G5 and so is the transmitter. You still put them in the abdomen but they are much easier. I don't even wrinkle the tape any more. Yippee! But frankly, until they make tape that lasts for 14 days, I don't see the point in making the sensor last that long. <grin>
With the Dexcom, of course, we can see the current reading. You give your doctor a code and then your doctor can look at all of your readings and you don't have to keep that log. When you give the doctor the code, you specify how long it lasts. So for instance, if you give it for a year, that means any time during that year, if you have a question between appointments, the doctor can just look at your readings and answer your question. It's a great system in my opinion.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407