[Diabetes-Talk] Insulin pumps

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:31:17 UTC 2018

To pump users,

So, I just received an update from my nurse educator who has been working
with the Medtronic rep for a couple of weeks on this. According to the rep,
I can order a 530G by October 26 and still be under warranty for 4 years.
This means, if this is correct, we have one more month to get the Medtronic
530G, and if something happens, we can still have the pump replaced for the
next 4 years. And as most of us know, the supplies are the same for the 530G
as the newer models, the 630 and 730. So, the supplies are not the issue but
the warranty. But, according to the rep, if ordered by October 26, it can
still be under warranty.

Of course, after 4 years, we are back to square one, but, for now, it seems
the 530G is an option. My nurse educator seems to think this pump issue will
be resolved in that time, and I think she's in sane, as much as I love her,
smirk. But, those of us having to switch can choose the Medtronic 530G for
now, at least for the next month. But, if you want to go with this option,
you need to get on top of it ASAP as October 26 is around the corner.

As for the locking feature rendering the newer Medtronics completely
inaccessible for us, we need to individually and as a division make this a
big effort to correct. We need to contact these companies and make our case.
And DAN and the Federation as a whole needs to make this a priority as well,
in my opinion. I would also hope that we can contact Omnipod about its PDM,
especially if working with Google, whose creative director is Dr. Kurzweil,
a long-time friend and partner of the NFB. Not that he can immediately do
anything, but, I would think one phone call from someone at the top of the
NFB to Kurzweil would make an impact.