[Diabetes-Talk] insulin pumps and CGM

Alyssa Frierson alyssafrierson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 19:04:04 UTC 2019

Hi all,
Thank you all so much for your messages and sharing your experiences.
I tested the Omnipod, Medtronic, and Tandem T-Slim pumps with my
diabetes educator, and we're going with Medtronic! Medtronic was
easiest for me to use (and most like how I operate the Animas). The
Omnipod's screen wasn't big enough for me to read it with
magnification (I could probably do it with my phone, but it's easier
to use the small handheld one I'm used to). The contrast on the T-Slim
was better than Medtronic, but I kept messing up when I was trying to
operate the touch screen. I kept having to touch it, take my hand
away, look at the screen again with magnification to make sure I
hadn't made a mistake, then backing up and doing it again when I'd
pressed something incorrectly. It seemed like there was too much room
for error and it would take forever to operate. Also filling the
cartridge seemed tricky. As long as the brightness is turned all the
way up I could navigate the Medtronic okay, and I think filling the
insulin will be easier than with the Omnipod or T-Slim, so I think
it's the right decision.
It's great to know the Dexcom app is accessible! Insurance won't cover
the Dexcom G6 until June, so we're waiting a few months to add that. I
think that's good; then I can get used to a new pump first. I still
feel a little anxious about having to switch, but I think once I get
the hang of a new pump I'll feel more excited. Thanks again for all
the support!

Alyssa