[Diabetes-Talk] insulin pumps and CGM

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 22:01:05 UTC 2019

Allisa,

Congrats things are going well so far. Did you go with the Medtronic 530G, 630G or 730G? Medtronic is more similar to Animas than other pumps on the market, but still has it's own individual way of doing things.

Personally, I find the Medtronic reservoirs challenging to fill; actually, every sighted person who has helped me, including my nurse educator, my local Medtronic rep and a few family and friends really struggle with filling it. They are hyper sensitive to air bubbles, so caution there. With Animas, I usually filled my own with no problem, but since I can't tell if there's air bubbles or not, I'm not comfortable filling the Medtronic reservoirs myself.

Honestly, there's not really any training with Dexcom other than inserting the sensor and attaching the transmitter, which your nurse ed or a Dexcom rep should train you on, but both the G5 and G6 are easy, the G6 particularly easy. Otherwise, once you have the app set up, there's no training.

Good luck and keep us posted.